This recipe is adapted from Simply Delicious segment at AFC (Asia Food Channel) and I maanged to memorise the ingredients and wrote it down in my notebook. Well, the original recipe uses flour+baking powder, but I replaced it with self-raising flour simply because to lazy *LOL*. It is very easy to do muffin and tastes very rich due to the butter. It doesn't require any machine, just your hands and fork & spoon and of course not forgetting the weighing machine too .. hehe
Muffins batter is supposed to be lumpy and not smooth. Just ensure that the dry ingredients are moist then stop mixing. Further mixing will give a hard muffin and you don't want that.
125g chilled butter, cut into cubes
275g SR flour
115g brown sugar
115g choc chips or a block of dark chocolate and chop them into small pieces
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Sift flour and salt together
2. Add egg and vanilla essence into the milk and mix them well, put aside
3. Mix butter into flour mixture, using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour till it resembles crumbs
4. Make a hole in the dry ingredients and pour the milk mixture (2) slowly and using a fork, mix it gently till all the dry ingredients are moist. The batter should be lumpy and not smooth.
5. Scoop into muffin pan or cups and bake in a preheated oven at 175C for 20mins or so till cooked.