Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Vietnamese Yogurt (drink)

I make my own yogurt at home using my yogurt maker and cultured powder, once a few weeks. They are usually made with low and full fat milk and quite recently with coconut milk.  I usually eat it on its own or use it for my bakes and cooking.  A few days ago, I chanced upon a recipe of a vietnamese yogurt that uses sweetened condensed milk.  Very interesting I should say and that made me wanted to try. The recipe I chose uses yogurt as a starter, curious with the taste, I made it 2 days ago.  Unfortunately my low-fat yogurt is not potent enough to firm up the yogurt nicely but I really do like the taste.  Instead, I have myself a yogurt drink that tastes very much like Yakult *yummy*


Next time I will use the powder instead and replace some of the water with full cream milk.

I used my yogurt maker for this, but you can use your oven to set the yogurt.  Best to do it at night so that it will be ready by the next morning.  Recipe follows:

What you need:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can boiling water (use the same can of the condensed milk)
1 can room temperature water (use the same can of the condensed milk, original recipe uses 2 cans)
1/2 cup yogurt (store bought is fine)

What you do:
1. Pour condensed milk into a bowl, add boiling water and stir the mixture
2. Add room temperature water and stir till well blended and let the mixture cool a little bit (you do not want it to be too hot when adding the yogurt as it will kill the bacteria and your yogurt will not set)
3. Add yogurt and stir
4. If you are using a yogurt maker, pour mixture into your yogurt maker and let it set in the maker till it sets
5. If you are using the oven, preheat the oven to 75C then turn it off the heat
6. Pour the yogurt into small containers and place them in the oven with the light on overnight.
7. Yogurt is ready for consumption the next day.  Keep some yogurt to be used as a starter for the next batch

Happy trying !

No comments: