Friday, May 27, 2005

Udon Soup

I seriously do not know what to call this dish. It is actually a clear soup or rather a yong tau fu soup which was discussed at a parenting forum (M4M) which I frequent. I have never tried brewing soup using soya beans but probably have tasted it outside. Since I have some udon I bought last week and some leftover fishball and fishcake, I decided to try this for dinner.

I used a pressure cooker to hasten the softening of the soya beans. Otherwise I would have to boil it over the stove for an hour or more. I also cheated in one of the ingredients - using a chicken bouillon cube instead. The taste would definitely be richer with chicken bones.

udon

Ingredients

1-1 1/2 tbsp soya beans, washed
1 tbsp ikan bilis, washed
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 litres of water
salt & pepper to taste
fishcake, julien
fishballs
chye sim, cut into bite sizes and blanched
udon

Method

1. Boil all the ingredients over the stove for about 1 hour. If you are using a pressure cooker, you can boil for about 20-30 minutes. By then the soya beans would have already soften.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste
3. Add fishcake slices and fishball and boil for another 30 minutes
4. Prepare the udon and blanched greens in a bowl
5. Pour the hot soup over and garnish with toasted shallots, spring onions and a few drops of sesame oil
6. Serve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about dip swiss cheese green onions crackers
. You can check it out at dip swiss cheese green onions crackers



Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder