Thursday, November 10, 2005

Choc Chip & Walnut Cookie

The recipe I used for this cookie was taken from allrecipes.com but I made some modification to it. It is supposed to be like Famous Amos cookie but personally, other than the texture, the taste is not there yet. I still need to do more experiment for get the taste that I want. Nevertheless, this is a great tasting cookie - the texture is light and crispy but not overly crispy. Something that I like :)



choc_chip_nut




The original recipe uses 1 cup butter. I have modified it to add a bit of shortening to retain the shape. My first attempt using the original recipe gave me a flat cookie.

Here are some of the other tips that you can follow to minimise flat cookie which worked for me :)

- Use good butter. Ingredients should just be cream and salt. Example of good brand Lurpak, Golden Churn etc
- Do not overbeat the butter. Beat until the mixture turns fluffy and well mixed, then stop
- Chill the dough before use
- Make sure the tray used is not hot


Ingredients

1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar (can use demerera or light muscovado sugar)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening (you can use less but make sure the butter and shortening makes up 1 cup)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 - 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used about 1 1/2 cup)

Method

1. Preheat oven to 175 degree celsius
2. Thoroughly cream sugars, butter, shortening, oil, egg, milk and vanilla.
3. Add dry ingredients, nuts and chocolate chips.
4 .Drop by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 8-12 minutes. (Cookies are light in color when done.)

Enjoy !

4 comments:

rokh said...

thanks for the recipe. i am always on the look out for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe. will try it out

Anonymous said...

I've too recently baked choco chip cookies. If you want the cookies to be real crispy, add lesser brown sugar- skaur

Anonymous said...

Hi Zu, such a great website you have! Enjoy looking at your food pics...Nway a question, how many cookies will I get, based on the this recipe? I wanna try to bake it for this coming Raya...And oh, the same question for the sugee cookies too...pls reply me at mas16@singnet.com.sg THANKS!!

suharti said...

i've always used this recipe for my cookies. they're usually not that flat and smooth. Taste of the cookies not there yet tho..