Monday, April 06, 2009

Chocolate & Banana birthday cake

My eldest daughter turned 9 in the middle of March. I wasn't in the mood to do any baking but it just didn't feel right not to prepare anything for her. So as usual, I baked a cake for her to share with her friends at the day care centre. I know kids just love chocolate so I decided to bake a chocolate & banana cake with a simple chocolate ganache. Excuse the decor as I was like really pressing for time :-( But I was very happy that all the kids enjoyed the simple cake I did.




A slice of the cake (extra cake I did to celebrate at home)



The original recipe is taken from BBC Goodfood I skipped the crumble topping and used brown sugar and replaced the chocolate with dark chocolate (my favourite).

Here is the recipe with my changes. I double the recipe and baked in an 9 inch baking pan and with some excess I pour into a small about 6inch pan or you can use a loaf pan.

Ingredients
100g dark chocolate, melted by double boil or microwave
150g butter , softened
175g brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
175g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
25g cocoa powder
2 large bananas, peeled and mashed

Ganache
170g cream (dairy or non-dairy)
170g semi-sweet choc chips or anything choc that you like (sometimes I use more for thicker ganache)

Method
1. Heat the oven to 180C
2. Cream together the softened butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy, gradually add the egg, beating well between each addition
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa and fold in using a large metal spoon
4. Add the mashed banana and chocolate and mix well
5. Pour into a greased and line baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean
6. Cool on a rack and then frost it with the ganache
7. For the ganache, heat the cream till you see bubbles at the side of the pan and add the choc and stir till all is melted, leave it to cool before use

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm.. looks yummy & seems easy. is it? will try one day.

sis, if making chiffon cake, can i use the normal baking tin, the one with out the pillar on the middle? thx

Zurynee said...

Yes, it is easy to make :-)

You can use normal baking tin for chiffon but make sure you don't grease the sides but line the bottom with parchment or baking paper. Once it is out of the oven place it upside down before you remove it from the pan.

HTH

ODxiang said...

Hi:
I came across your blog and am very impressed with your baking skills. And your decoration skills are good too! Glad you enjoy baking. I am starting to learn how to cook and bake too and am enjoying it.

alternative-mom said...

Hi, thanks for sharing the recipe. I've a question about the ganache.

I've recently got a recipe for an eggless, milkless cake and it's fantastic as my daughter is highly allergic to the ingredients.

It calls for ganache and I didn't quite know how to put it on.

Do I first bake my cake, and once it has cooled, poured the prepared ganache over it? I can't really figure out how it would be. So far, I've made the cakes but without the ganache but would really like to add it!

Many thanks for sharing!

Zurynee said...

thks ama de casa :-)

alternative-mom, you only pour ganache after your cake has cooled. It is better to prepare the ganache early because if not, the consistency will be too runny to pour over the cake.

HTH
Zu

Anonymous said...

Hi there, your website is fantastic!
should i use single, double or whipped cream for this?
also, how well/long can this cake keep if i leave it in the fridge?
thanks alot in advance!

Zurynee said...

Hi anonymous, you can use any type of cream that you like. You can keep for a week if you keep in an air tight container.

HTH
Zu

Littlestrawberii Owner said...

How many servings does this cake has?

Zurynee said...

Since this is a 9inch cake, it serves 20-22.

HTH

Hamxa Atique said...

hi i m from pakistan
can i use plain flour other thn self raising??

Zurynee said...

Hi Hamza Atique, yes you can use plain flour. You can add another tsp of baking powder to the flour.

HTH