Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Salmon Sushi

I love sushi and sashimi especially salmon. I was sort of craving for one after seeing one of my online friend's homemade sushi and decided to make some for myself too.


sushi


To me, sushi is actually not very difficult to make. Rolled sushi is a little bit more troublesome but generally they are still pretty ok. One thing good about making sushi is that you can be as creative as you want when it comes to the filling.

The sushi rice recipe I used is very simple. To have a more flavourful rice, you may want to add konbu/kelp during the first minutes of cooking the rice. I did mine without it.

Simple Sushi Rice

Ingredients
1 cup calrose rice (short grain rice), you can use japanese rice if you want to
1 cup water

Vinegar
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Method

1. Wash rice till the water clears and soak it for about 30minutes
2. Drain the water and add 1 cup of water into the rice and cook it either in the rice cooker, microwave or the on the stove
4. Once the rice is cook leave it covered for about 10-15minutes
5. Fluff the rice with rice paddle and cover the rice pot again with a kitchen towel for another 10minutes
6. While waiting, mix all the vinegar mixture and heat it on the stove until sugar dissolves
5. Transfer and spread rice in a non-metallic bowl, sprinkle the vinegar mixture into the rice and fold rice gently while fanning it
6. Once rice reaches room temperature, the rice is ready to be used. Cover it with a damp kitchen towel if you do not want to use it immediately


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been finding almost all of my sushi boy here