I have not been baking for a while and my hand got itchy to bake one. But unfortunately younger daughter fell ill and I had to change my plans and make a steamed cake instead. Found an old recipe in my recipe file and thought of giving it a try. This cake uses only egg whites which I have quite a bit left in the freezer to clear.
The layering of the cake can be quite time consuming but it was worth every effort.
This is the overall look of the cake.
This is the closeup.
The original recipe uses 3 colours but I only used 2 colours, red and chocolate from the chocolate emulco. The other is the original colour of the cake batter.
500g egg white
60g evaporated milk
1 tbsp vanilla essence (You can use butter oil or sweetcorn oil also)
150g melted butter
225g castor sugar
300g top flour
1 tbsp ovalette/sponge cake stabilizer
3 colours (red, green and yellow), 1/2 tsp for each colour
1 tbsp chocolate emulco
a pinch of salt
1. Beat egg whites at high speed. Add sugar bit by bit once the egg whites turns bubbly. Continue beating till soft peaks.
2. Add flour, milk, ovalette and salt and continue mixing.
3. Add melted butter and mix till well blend.
4. Split batter equally into 4 parts and add one colour to each part
5. Add chocolate emulco into one of the part
6. Grease a baking tin with butter and scoop 1 tbsp of yellow mixture into the centre of the baking tin, continue with 1 tbsp of the red onto the yellow mixture, scoop 1 tbsp of the green mixture onto the red, scoop 1 tbsp of the chocolate mixture on the green and repeat with the yellow, red, green and chocolate until finish.
7. Steam on high heat for about 30 minutes or till cake is done.
Very pretty cake, Zu! I can see that u have put in alot of effort :)
Thanks linlin. Yeah, but the result was worth it :)
Zu, if I want to bake this cake for a friend's BD tomorrow. Can I bake it today ? How to store the cake huh ? Will it be hard if she eats it tomorrow nite ?
Sorry with so many questions.
what sized pan did u use??
500g eggwhite = to how many eggs?
Hi, Happened to chance upon your site, Pretty amazing and inspiring! Tried the steamed cake... turned out wonderful. Thanks! 500g egg white = about 30 egg whites.. (I had a lot left over after Hari Raya baking).
30 egg whites is lot of eggs! But you can freeze egg whites (and use them as fresh ones) and bake them when you've reached 30!!!!!!!.
Nice and beautiful cake, but 30 eggs white sound many...hahahah...is it easy to bake?
Post a Comment