It has been a while since I last updated this blog. I was away on a business trip for a short 3 days and was swamped with work. To kick start again, I made an easy baked chimichanga last Friday. Chiminchanga is a deep fried borito filled with meat fillings. My version is a simple one inspired by a recipe by an online friend.
Freshly baked chiminchanga just out of the oven.
Chicken and cheese oozing out from the tortilla wrap
This dish uses mostly off the shelf ingredients. I used Tostitos salsa sauce and bought the tortillas from the supermarket. You can make your own if you like too.
This is the salsa which I used for this dish.
1-2 chicken fillet cut into strips
2 medium garlic, chopped
shredded cabbage or other vegetables that you like
1 bottle salsa
shredded cheddar cheese
handful of basil or cilantro
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat oil in a pan and stir fry chopped garlic till fragrant
2. Add chicken strips and fry till cooked
3. Pour salsa onto the chicken and mix till all the chicken are well coated with the sauce
4. Add cabbage and basil and stir till all the vege are cooked
5. Turn off the heat and let it cool
6. Pre-heat oven to 180 degree celcius
7. Take one tortilla and put some of the chicken salsa on the wrap
8. Sprinkle shredded cheese on the salsa mix and roll the wrap like springroll
Salsa topped with shredded cheese
9. Place chimichanga onto a lined baking tray and repeat with the next wrap
10.Brush chimichanga with olive oil and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or till the top turns slighly brown
11. Serve immediately