Sunday, July 17, 2005

Roasted Plum Sauce Chicken & Stir-fry Vege

Feeling a little bored with plain steamed rice, I decided to cook chicken rice yesterday with simple side dishes. Malay style chicken rice is usually served with deep fried chicken which I truly, honestly hate to do. I avoid deep frying chicken like a plague because of the amount of work I had to do cleaning the grease although I used a pot to fry them. Another one is the oil, what to do with the balance oil? I don't cook alot everyday especially frying and I don't like wastage. So, the obvious alternative is to roast it.

Roasting chicken is not difficult, just need to have good marinade. I am not really particular about the measurement when preparing the marinade for the chicken. The basic stuffs I use would be garlic, ginger, mustard or whatever spices I have lying around, ketchup, soya sauce and honey. This time round, I used the plum sauce which I bought a couple of months back and totally forgotten about it. I only used these 3 sauces for this chicken.

chick_sauces

The result
plum_chicken


Ingredients
1 chicken (about 1.4kg)
1 thumb size ginger, blend into paste
3 cloves garlic, blend into paste
2-3 tbsp plum sauce
3-4 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
2-4 tbsp honey

Method
1. Clean and pat dry chicken
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients together and rub the marinade on the chicken
3. Leave the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 2 hrs
4. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius and roast the chicken for about 40-60 minutes or till the skin turns brown and crispy. Baste the chicken with the leftover marinade in between the roasting and turn the chicken over during the last 10mins
5. Cut chicken into bite size and serve hot

My chicken rice is never complete without any vege. I made a simple stir-fry vege omitting soya sauce or stock. I added slices of sotong balls and surprisingly, that gives the vege some flavour. On top of the that, the nice combination of vege made the dish taste refreshing, topped with fried shallots.

A peek at the final product.

mixed_vege


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The roast chicken looks really good, I can already feel how crisp the skin is! Yum yum :)

Anonymous said...

So tempting lah .... Should try the chicken..thanks for sharing