Sunday, July 17, 2005

Easy Baked Salmon

I love salmon be it raw or cooked. However, for the latter, I am a little bit fussy - I like grilled/pan-fried salmon to be juicy and not dry. The experiences I had dining at restaurants, the salmon fillet has the tendency to be a little dry, hence I hardly order grilled salmon. If given a choice, I would rather eat it raw.

Salmon being a superfood, I make it a point to bake it at least once a week usually on a weekend. My dds love them and can finish a 200-300gm fillet at one meal. I have tried pan-frying, steaming and baking and find baking gives me more flavour. I also realised that adding white onions and fresh tomatoes make the salmon juicy and flavourful.

This was what I baked last Friday for dinner. No fuss, just need chopped the tomatoes and onion. The fish was marinated in the morning before I went to work.


baked_salmon

Ingredients
1 salmon fillet (about 200-300g)
1 plump tomato, chopped
half white onion, sliced into rings (you can use yellow onions too)
a few sprigs spring onions
1-2tbsp olive oil
parsley flakes

Marinate
salt
black & white pepper, freshly ground
a few dashes of worcestershire sauce (4-5)
1 tbsp lemon juice


Method
1. Clean and pat dry fillet
2. Rub fillet with salt and pepper
3. Splash a few dashes of worcestershire sauce and lemon juice, making sure that it covers the fillet
4. Leave it to marinate for at least 2 hrs in the refrigerator
5. Preheat ove to 200 degrees celcius
6. Place marinated fillet on a aluminium foil and pour the leftover marinate over
7. Place chopped tomatoes, onions and spring onion on top of the fillet, splash olive oil generously over the fillet and wrap it
8. Bake it in the oven for about 15mins, take the fish out and open the top of the aluminium foil and bake it further for another 20mins or till the top browns a little
9. Sprinkle some parsley flakes or dill
10. Serve immediately with steamed rice

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Zu, delicious looking salmon! I love salmon too & usually I marinate them wrapped in a foil then broil them, I find that broiling makes them juicy too!