Saturday, July 30, 2005

Strawberry Yoghurt Ice-Cream

I was reminded of my tub of yoghurt and a small box of whipping cream in my fridge by Gina (KC) after she made her yoghurt ice-cream. A good idea to clear them and at the same time free some fridge space, I made this in the morning using my ice-cream maker.


strawberry_yoghurt


I sort of cheated using strawbery paste instead of fresh strawberry puree but added some chopped strawberries into the yoghurt ice-cream. The ice-cream came out perfect for me. I like it a little sourish, so I added more yoghurt.

Ingredients
450gm plain yoghurt (less if you don't want it to be too sour)
200gm whipping cream/pure cream
1/4 to 1/2 cup powdered sugar (more if you like sweet)
4 strawberries, chopped
1 tsp lemon juice, added to the chopped strawberries
1 - 1 1/2 tsp strawberry paste/emulco*
pinch of salt

*you can use fresh strawberries puree. Take about 4-6 strawberries and blend it into puree and add some lemon juice to it

Method
Using ice-cream maker
1. Mix yoghurt, cream, sugar, salt and strawberry paste/puree and blend till well mix. Keep them in the fridge to chill it.
2. Assemble the ice-cream maker, pour the chilled mixture into ice-cream maker and follow the instruction of the manufacturer.

Manual
1. Whisk yoghurt, cream, sugar, salt in a chilled bowl for about 1 min
2. Add strawberry paste/puree and continue mixing till well blended
3. Pour into a container and store it in the freezer till set.

8 comments:

J said...

looks so yummy & pretty!

Anonymous said...

Hey Zu! Delicious looking ice-cream..juz like store bought :)

Anonymous said...

Zu, my next icy dessert will be Sorbet. too much ice cream in the freezer now. had to clear them before I start Sorbet making. you should try making another one using Light Sour Cream..its very creamy. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Zu

You have a wonderful food blog here. I just love coming here :-)

Your ice-cream is so nicely decorated. I have recently bought an ice-cream maker but I find it to be a big disappointment. It takes about half an hour to churn the ice-cream and the texture is not fluffy and creamy at all - more like sorbet. May I ask the following :
1. how long does yr ice-cream maker takes to churn out the ice-cream?
2. do you find the ice-cream maker useful at all? I'm now thinking whether I should sell it away.

TIA!

jd

Zurynee said...

Hi jd,

I usually put the mixture in the fridge to chill it first (a couple of hours would be good) before I pour it into the maker. I usually let it run for about 30-45 minutes or until i see that it has turned slight hard. I will occasionally scrap the sides too. So far the ice-creams I've made are pretty creamy. I believe the ingredients used also determines how creamy the ice-cream would be.

I find it useful esp when making ice-creams that are usually more expensive outside.

Do give a chance or two before you sell it away :)

HTH
Zu

Anonymous said...

Hi Zu

Thanks for replying :-)

Oh! I didn't know can scrap down the sides since the Kenwood manual said cannot stop and start the machine once it's started. When the ice-cream is ok, I find that the below part has becomes like ice. So I just scrap it and try to mix them together to get an even texture. At the end, I pour half of it onto my Kenwood Chef and beat it so that I can make a comparison. Voila - in no time the ice-cream has turned smooth and creamy. [I follow Agnes Chang's Mango Ice-Cream recipe using coffee-mate. Quite nice except that since I used Phoon Huat's mango puree, it doesn't have a nice mango taste.]

I find using the ice-cream maker really takes a very long time to churn out the ice-cream. Using Kenwood Chef is much more faster. But I guess since already bought, yes I'll try it out for some time lah.

Once again, thank you. Have a nice day! :)

Zurynee said...

Hi jd,

My maker is philips, very basic actually. It is true that sometimes it would be easier and faster to use the mixer instead though. If that is the case,use your maker to make sorbet instead ;)

Zu

Anonymous said...

Hi there :)

Really find your blog very useful and I would really like to invest on a ice cream maker. What is the best brand to buy and around how much is one? Thanks!