Sunday, July 10, 2005

Lemon Sourcream Pound Cake

I have yet to attempt a pound cake and finally decided to try this simple pound cake recipe (shared by one member at KC) with some modification. I have never baked a lemon cake before so I made up my mind to try one out since I have all the ingredients. The original recipe uses butter but I was very interested to try shortening instead. I may have eaten a cake made with shortening without my knowledge, hence the decision to bake one myself. In this recipe, I used the butter flavoured one and the result was really good, soft and moist. I hardly noticed any difference - it was just like using butter.


lemonpound_1

Light and fluffy inside
lemonpound_3



Ingredients
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
1 cup or 1 stick butter flavoured shortening (Crisco) plus 6 tbsp water
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
grated zest from 1 large lemon
1 cup light sour cream (200ml)

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Grease and flour bundt pan
3. Cream shortening plus 6 tbsp water and sugar till fluffy (about 6 minutes).
4. Add in eggs, 1 at a time
5. Add lemon zest and blend.
6. Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and scraping down side of bowl after each addition.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (about 40mins - 1 hour)

Lemon Glaze:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

Method
1. Mix all the 3 ingredients till well blend
2. Drizzle glaze over the cooled cake

No comments: