This chicken has been playing in my mind after watching Jamie Oliver on Discovery's Travel & Living channel. I finally made this for dinner earlier and verdict - very refreshing. Very lemony with a tinge of thyme. Nice to be eaten with steamed rice.
Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots or zucchini are added with the chicken during roasting so as to not to waste the chicken baste.
Original recipe has chopped bacon added to the herbed butter. I omitted this because I forgot to defrost my turkey bacon. This addition will give more flavour to the dish. You can use about 3-4 strips.
1 large garlic. chopped
zest from 1 lemon
lemon slices (from 1 lemon)
one bunch fresh thyme, chopped (abt 18gm)
70g butter, softened
salt & pepper
some potatoes/sweet potatoes/carrots/zucchini, cut into quarters
1. Preheat oven to 220C
2. Combine chopped garlic, thyme and zest from 1 lemon
3. Add salt and pepper and mix it well
4. Add softened butter into the herb mixed and mix till well blend
5. Stuff 3/4 of the herbed butter under the breast skin of the chicken
6. Use you hands to smoothen the skin so that the herbed butter is well distributed under the skin
7. Score the chicken thighs and smoothered the balance herbed butter on them and place chicken on the roasting tray
8. Cut the lemon into slices and put them into the chicken cavity
9. Sprinkle olive oil, salt and pepper onto the cut vegetables and place them with the chicken
10. Roast the chicken for about 45-60 mins or till the chicken is cooked